This forum allows you to publish documents that you would like to invite comments on

Defining an Open Platform

There has been growing global interest in the concept of an Open Digital Platform for health and care based on open standards.

We have produced a document called “Defining an Open Platform” to make the case for open platforms and lay out a blueprint for an open platform architecture at a level of detail that would allow any willing party to build a first generation implementation of an open platform that would be interoperable with any other. Our proposal is based on HL7 FHIR, SNOMED-CT, IHE-XDS and openEHR and draws on pioneering work globally and in the UK that have proven how these standards can be used to build an open platform.

The document was launched at EHI Live on Tuesday 31 Oct in the NHS Digital Theatre at 09.30. We welcome you comments.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminApperta Admin (Admin, Apperta Foundation CIC) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ewan Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous November 07, 2017 08:49 - I agree with you Tricia's recent blog give a less academic overview - Well worth a read

• Ewan Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have some feedback in which people conflate open platforms with open source. The definition on an open platform in this document is agnostic as far as far as the choice of open source or proprietary business models is concerned.

Open platforms are about open standards for data and API - Applications running on an open platform and the services that make up the platform can be 100% proprietary or 100% open source, but in most cases an open platform ecosystem is likely to be a mixed economy.

More on my blog here http://www.woodcote-consulting.com/its-not-about-open-source/

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there. Really useful document. I think by way of wider context, it would be helpful to note that the technical fundamentals are an important and fundamental building block in digital innovation, but this by itself will not fully address the challenge we face. It would therefore be worth noting the human factors involved in digital adoption and perhaps refer to the excellent empirical work done by Tricia Greenhalgh et al in this field which you can find at https://www.jmir.org/2017/11/e367

Feedback and Knowledge Base